Please click or tap here for the Guide to Finding Lewis Walpole Library Collection Material.
The main search and discovery tools are the following:
Orbis: Yale’s online Library catalog. The most up-to-date and authoritative records for the collection can be found there, and Orbis affords the most robust searching. Records in Orbis for graphic materials that have been digitized include links to the images on the Digital Images Collection. It is possible to limit searches in Orbis by location (for example, just what is held at the Lewis Walpole Library), and material type (for example, Archives or Manuscripts, or Visual Material).
- books and printed texts
- prints, drawings, and paintings
- bound manuscripts and manuscript collections
Search through either Orbis or Quicksearch. Paging requests can be placed directly through links in the Orbis records.
- Orbis - Orbis searches Yale’s Library catalog (not including Morris, the Law Library catalog). To limit searches, use the Advanced Search. (instructions)
- Quicksearch - Quicksearch performs a combined search of: Books+; Articles+; Digital Collections, and searches in Orbis and Morris (Law Library). It enables faceted searching. (instructions forthcoming)
Yale Finding Aid Database - Online tool consisting with detailed information about archival and manuscript collections at Yale University. Currently the LWL has the Horace Walpole Collection (LWL Mss 1) published here. Paging requests can be placed directly through links in the finding aid.
Search in Card Catalogs and local Finding Aids (available only at the Library)
- Miscellaneous manuscripts
- Portraits (smaller format)
- Topographical views (smaller format)
- Theatrical prints (smaller format)
- Photostats of material from other collections
Digital Images Collection (DL) - digital images from the LWL collections. The LWL’s DL has been in use since about 2002. Most of the digitized collections material is represented in the DL, although more recent additions have not had images loaded. For those, search FindIt.
FindIt - FindIt enables faceted searching. It is still in development, but LWL items are represented in it, including some digital images not found in the DL
- Prints and drawings
- Strawberry Hill-related texts
Additional search and discovery tools for Lewis Walpole Library collections
Recent Antiquarian Acquisitions Blog - The Library’s recent additions of rare printed, graphic, and manuscript materials are announced here with an image, brief description, and link to the catalog record and, where applicable, the image in the Digital collection.
Horace Walpole’s Strawberry Hill Collection - selected art and artifacts from Horace Walpole’s collections, including images, descriptions, and last known whereabouts. Includes LWL collection items as well as items in other collections.